Monday, March 31, 2014

P!nk and Merino Wool

I grew up listening to artists like Britney, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, and Pink. Out of all of them, I never took the time to really sit down and appreciate how much of a great artist Pink is, until today. She supports so many good causes, one of which are animal rights! In 2008, she stood up for Sheep in the making of merino wool. 


This melted my heart. When I read more and more about her today, I can barely put into words how moved I am by all her symbolism in her videos for things like women's rights, animal rights, and the LGBT community. It makes me feel like maybe the world isn't such a shitty place, you know? And it also makes me realize getting messages that are not conventional out from the marginal to the mainstream is not impossible. 

In her video Raise Your Glass, there's a symbolic scene in which women are tied down and forcefully being used for their breast milk for the cows. When I saw this I was like, "she gets it."


Her persona is this bad-ass fit chick who doesn't need a man to protect her, physically or financially. She's like "yeah I have a short haircut, my hair is pink (or blonde or black or blue), I stand up for animals, I work out, I'm strong, I don't need a man, and I'm still fabulous." That's empowering in pop-culture. 

And let's not forget her fashion sense has been incredibly out there since the early 2000's, before GaGa and Nicki Minaj. Here are some screen shots of my favorite P!nk music video moments via her youtube channel. 






So raise your glass (of almond milk, of course) if you are wrong in all the right ways. 
Post a Comment